Gynecology or gynecology is the medical practice dealing with the health of the female reproductive system (uterus, vagina, andovaries).
The main conditions dealt with by a gynecologist are:
- Cancer and pre-cancerous diseases of the reproductive organs including ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, cervix, vagina, and vulva
- Incontinence of urine
- Amenorrhoea (absent menstrual periods)
- Dysmenorrhoea (painful menstrual periods)
- Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual periods); a common indication for hysterectomy
- Prolapse of pelvic organs
- Infections of the vagina (vaginitis), cervix and uterus (including fungal, bacterial, viral, and protozoal)
There is some crossover in these areas. For example, a woman with urinary incontinence may be referred to an urologist.